Looking for a class that can heal as well as inflict great damage then Priests should be your choice. Heal yourself, protect yourself and your friends, heal your friends even from beyond the grave or even bring them back from the dead and for the cherry on top inflict great damage on your enemies or simply mind control them. Priests are highly diverse and tough and are generally required in a team to make it strong from all aspects. PvP or PvE does not matter to Priests since they are good in all conditions. Only light armor is available to a Priest, making them prone to physical damage but that is just a small disadvantage since Priests have access to a variety of shields and spells.
Reach Level 10 with your Priest and you get to choose 3 different paths:
- Discipline: Healers and shielders. Not to be chosen as a main raid healer due to lack of AoE heal spells.
- Shadow: Not effective as healers but great damage dealers. Fully capable of burst damage and have powerful DoT’s.
- Holy: The all-Rounder’s. Strong AoE healing spells plus great damaging spells. Ideal as raid healers as and as tank healers.
All races of Priests have almost the same abilities. Here you can go for the looks but just for arguments sake i think in the horde side Blood Elf’s are a more wise option since you get extra mana with them. In the alliance side i think Human is the best choice since they have the best PvP racial and their bonus spirit comes handy in a PvE situation.
Regardless of the type of Priest you become (Holy, Discipline or Shadow) i think Intellect and Spirit should be given the most priority respectively and Mastery Rating should be given the lowest priority. INT increases your spell power as well as your mana pool and also increases your ‘spell crit’ chance and Spirit increases your mana regeneration. As a Priest these things are enough to make your formidable.
Given the specialization to choose from i think being an all-rounder comes in handy. As a Holy Priest you can protect as well as punish and bring your friends back from the grave. Die and you can still heal from beyond the grave as a Spirit Healer. Leveling may be slow as compared to when being a Shadow Priest but hey at least you can master 2 areas of interest.
- Level 15 – Void Tendrils – Instantly root up to 5 enemies that are attacking you within 8 yards for 20 seconds. Great for letting your tank attack them.
- Level 30 – Angelic Feather – Increase speed by 80% for 6 seconds for yourself or your friends.
- Level 45 – Mindbender – Although it has a 60 second cool-down this talent is pretty cool. Create a Shadowfiend and let it attack. Receive some amount of mana back for everytime your Shadowfiends attacks.
- Level 60 – Desperate Prayer – Almost killed? Instantly heal yourself for up to 30% of your total health. Casted instantly but comes with a heavy price of a 2 minute cool-down period.
- Level 75 – Power Infusion – Instantly increase spell haste by 20%, damage by 5% and reduce mana cost by 20%. Such power! It has a cool-down of 2 minute so be sure to use it early and regularly.
- Level 90 – Halo – Instantly creates a Holy ring around you for up to 30 yards and heals your allies within that circle as well as dishes out damage to your enemies at the same time. Most effective for allies or enemies at 25 yards.