Ethan Levy recently wrote an article on Kotaku titled "We're buying more game than we can play" which provides the results of a study he conducted among gamers to see what their game buying and playing habits were and the results pretty much echo the my own habits and that of my friends. I have about 100 games, about 25% are AAA titles which I get from XFX as a gift so that isn't really reflective of the normal buying habits but the other 75% are mostly Steam sales and Humble Bundles. Steams sales for me are very specific, either a game I have been waiting awhile for has finally gone on sale such as The Stanley Parable or Counter Strike Go with Garry's Mod.
However, with Humble Bundles, I'm usually only interested in 1 title and that title isn't even part of the main bundle but rather the bonus bundle which requires spending at least $6. The result is I'll get maybe 8 games of which I'm really only interested in 1 or 2. That's why I too find that I have so many games that I don't really play because I didn't really want 50% of them in the first place. It's not too bad when you considered that you pretty much paid $6 for the game you wanted and got 7 other games free. At 100 or so games, it's not so bad however I have friends who have as many as 500 titles and it seems for him, if the game is with in the $3 to $6 range he will buy it irregardless of the name or popularity, so long as the video looks interesting. He admits though that he has probably only played 10% of his entire library, however he echoes the same responses that most of us have which is "You never know, you might play it someday."
When browsing through the list though I keep trying to remind myself that I should at least give them a try once, who knows I just might like them, so I've begun to make a habit of trying a couple of them each week, some were pretty interesting. Surgeon Simulator and Mark of the Ninja were a few that I found fun although they aren't the kind you need or want to finish but they were an interesting experience none the less. Here's an info graphic of the findings by Ethan Levy.
Levy’s Results Overview
The Average Gamer
- The average gamer surveyed owns unplayed 18 games in their Pile of Shame.
- They play games for 15 hours a week and spend 10 hours engaging with gaming media including news sites, videos and forums.
- They bought 11-25 games in the past 12 months: 60% on sale and just 20% new at full price.
- They have not played 40% of the games purchased in the past 12 months.
The Compulsive Collector
- 30% of the gamers surveyed are Compulsive Collectors with a Pile of Shame at least 50 high.
- The average Collector has roughly 100 games in their backlog.
- They play games for 20 hours a week and spend 10 hours engaging with gaming media.
- They bought 26-50 games in the past 12 months: 80% on sale and just 10% new at full price.
- They have not played 60% of the games purchased in the past 12 months.